Converting Word Documents into Accessible PDFs (Portable Document Formats)
- Use an accessible Word document as your source document.
- Use Adobe Acrobat Professional 8 (or above) or the built-in facility in Word 2007(or above). Earlier versions and other PDF makers may not produce accessible documents.
- Ensure ‘enable accessibility and reflow with tagged PDF’ is checked in the document conversion settings.
- After conversion, use the Adobe Accessibility Checker to check for possible problems.
- If available, use a screen reader to check the reading order and to check that all the content is accessible.
- When posting PDFs on the web, add a link to Adobe Acrobat reader www.adobe.com/uk/products/reader and post an alternative version in Word or Plain Text. Ideally also provide the information as an HTML webpage.
For tutorials on the topics above topics:
Previous | Next: Accessible PowerPoint for Presentation and Web